Not strictly paranormal........

Go down

Not strictly paranormal........

Post  DigitalBoy0101 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:34 am

.........but an experience nonetheless.

I was riding my snowmobile on the Wabash Trace Nature Trail sometime around December of '93. Yeah, I know it's not allowed by the Trail owners (that's a very sore spot with area snowmobile clubs).........if you can catch me, you can charge me.

I was traveling with 1 friend. He was leading on his sled, I was following on my brother's sled that I had borrowed that night. We were headed to a house in Malvern where some other friends were staying.

On the way down to Malvern, I was somewhat startled to see a flock of what I can only describe as white snowbirds take to flight about 150 ft to my right as I passed by. This was around midway through the trip. I thought it odd and it gave me a faint sense of foreboding for some reason, but I let it pass. I didn't mention it when we were in Malvern, as it was just too circumstantial.

It is worth noting here that I consider myself a very experienced rider. I had ridden several thousand miles on a sled, even back then almost 16 years ago. Mostly trail riding, such as this was, and some friendly lake drag racing. However, even experienced riders can make stupid mistakes.

In my case, on our return trip home, I was following my friend too closely. I was attempting to keep his taillight in sight, but the snow was too powdery and I couldn't see the trail in all the snow dust thrown up by the leading sled.

Long story short, the trail made a right turn and I didn't see it. I went down off the side of a trail and hit a rather large tree at 60 MPH+. The only thing that saved my life is that I missed dead-center (no pun intended) on my front bumper by about 2 inches. That deflected me just enough that I didn't slam into the tree head first. I should have died that night, but walked away with only 2 small bruises on each shin. No broken bones, no ripped snow suit, not even a scratch on my helmet.

I believe the snow birds I saw were a possible warning from a Guardian Angel. I'm no bird watcher, but I don't know of a bird species around here (especially in the winter time) that matches what I saw that night. This was only one of my near-death experiences. I counted them up one time, and I realistically should have died around 14 times already in much the same way. Sadly, my luck doesn't extend to Powerball or any sort of gambling >.<

So, like I began this post with: not exactly paranormal, at least not in the traditional sense. But definitely an experience.

And since I know the question will come up, yes, I'm religious. I'm a non-practicing Lutheran. However, I don't necessarily believe that religion, science, and the paranormal are mutually exclusive as most people seem to think. But that's just me.

I have another, much more "traditional" paranormal experience I'll post in the appropriate Forum section.

*edit* Whoops, I forgot to mention........

My brother's sled was totaled. I paid his deductible and also bought the wrecked sled from the insurance company. With much help from my father and his friends, we rebuilt the sled! The same sled that nearly killed me I rode all the next year. It ran and looked even better than it did before the accident.

DigitalBoy0101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not strictly paranormal........

Post  KevinT FBN on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Sounds like you are truly lucky to be with us still! I've had some pretty deep experiences out of doors as well. I've done a lot of deer hunting archery style (until it became the 'golf' of our current era - I won't stay on that thread as I'd sound like a preacher). I've never had an omen that was followed by an actual accident or other such experience, but I have 'fealt' things while I was in my stand. Some of this can be chalked up to primal fear in my opinion. After spending about 2 or 3 hours in my stand, not talking or seeing or hearing another human being, you really sort of get in tune with your surroundings and your surroundings are wild. I don't know - it's hard to explain or quantify, but it's definately been a 'spiritual' experience.

Anyway - I've had some experience in bird identification so I might be able to help ID these birds. How big were they? Sparrow, bluejay, duck or goose size?
KevinT FBN
Admin

View user profile http://www.fbnparanormal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  DigitalBoy0101 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:22 am

I'm not very familiar with birds, however they were definitely smaller than ducks or geese.....yet still slightly bigger than what I'd consider a "normal" bird in this area. Bluejay size then, I guess? Perhaps a touch bigger.

I only caught a fleeting glimpse as I passed by, but I saw (or perhaps I just don't remember by now) no markings other than pure white. Of course, I might have just missed it. It also seemed like a flock of 8-10 birds.

Thanks for the reply, Kevin Smile

DigitalBoy0101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Argos on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Interesting experience, and more than a little scary!!

Birds are often seen as portents and omens in almost every culture in the world. Maybe your birds were something like that.
Argos

View user profile http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down