What does it take to be a Paranormal Investigator?

Go down

What does it take to be a Paranormal Investigator?

Post  CHook88 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:39 pm

I have always been interested in paranormal investigation, and i would like to know what it takes to be one. And also the basics of paranormal investigators.

CHook88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What does it take to be a Paranormal Investigator?

Post  KevinT FBN on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:39 am

You need to have a cool looking hat. That's about it. Wink

(I'll respond in a more serious manner later, but I had to get that in now before my business meeting starts.)

KevinT FBN
Admin

View user profile http://www.fbnparanormal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CHook88 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:11 am

*scribbles down notes* find a cool hat. . . tongue

CHook88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen FBN on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Rule #1: Don't listen to Kevin

Rule #2: See Rule #1. Smile

Seriously, I'll let Kev answer, since it sounds like he has a response brewing.

www.FBNParanormal.com
Stephen FBN
Admin

View user profile http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen FBN on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 pm

I hear crickets chirping...if he doesn't say something by the end of the day, I'm going to answer. Smile

www.FBNParanormal.com
Stephen FBN
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CHook88 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Very Happy Any answer would be great! I'll be going to the Whaley House in San Diego sometime during my trip to do some of my own investigation, and I will probably go to the haunted Hotel del Coronado as well. Smile

CHook88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Okay, here goes.

Post  Stephen FBN on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

The Whaley house should be great, I have some doubts about the Hotel Del Coronado haunting (But I have not been to either and only heard the stories, so I could be wrong about both.)

The first step in becoming a paranormal investigator is deciding how much you want to put into it - there are 'hobby teams' who visit cemeteries and take ghost tours, get together and discuss theories and share evidence and there are 'research teams' who literally spend every free minute conducting and reviewing paranormal projects.

As far as equipment, the only thing you really need is your own observational skills - but if this isn't enough for you then you will want ways of recording evidence.

Digital Audio Recorder: If you decide to get serious enough for investigations, this will probably be your first paranormal purchase. (Make sure that you buy one that has USB connectability.)

Digital Camera: You probably already own one - but if you are planning on taking pictures during an investigation you should make sure you are familiar with how your camera acts in differing levels of darkness (Shaking cameras w/ long exposure times are a great way to end up with a bunch of pictures that may appear paranormal, but are definitely not.)

I will sign off this installment of "How to be a Ghost Hunter" - if you have any more questions about it, please keep on asking! We are happy to help.

www.FBNParanormal.com
Stephen FBN
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KevinT FBN on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

My buddy leant me Call of Duty II and I've been making little electronic ghosts out of little electronic terrorists every since. Sorry.

When I ready your post my first notion was to answer it as if I were telling you what kind of characteristics I would need to see in order to let a potential FBN recruit come along with us. Maybe that's not so much what you were looking for, but I'll answer it anyway. I think the most important thing (besides a cool hat) is to really come to believe that people tend to look for information to confirm what they already believe. Sort of an internal 'power of suggestion' if you will. What I would demand from someone would be that they realize the biggest sin of investigating is gathering evidence to support your theory, rather then letting your theory be determined by the evidence that you gather. Nothing annoys me more then seeing investigations where the outcome is labeled "undeniable" or some other adjective claiming absolute law. I hate that!

As far as equipment - Steve is right on the audio recorder thing. I can tell you it does seem a bit strange asking questions as if you believe there is a sentient being in the room with you at first, but you'll get better at it. Now when I'm doing EVP sessions I don't look at it as speaking to 'someone' but asking questions that might trigger 'something'.

Steve has a list of standardized questions that he has volunteered to take part in. It's a principle of the scientific method that I've struggled with applying to our investigations, but his standardized list is a very good start. Maybe he'll post them on here.... *pokes Steve*

KevinT FBN
Admin

View user profile http://www.fbnparanormal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down